Saturday, November 8, 2008

No I in Team..

well, let me tell you something.. i.am.not.a.sports.person.or so i thought...
an old, dear, friend of mine, lets call her...Snowflake(insider,you wont get it.), recently made it to the county championships with her soccer team, and boy,were they proud. they were not just teammates, they were a family.. and they put everything they had into this season. now.. 1. i hate soccer. 2. it was pouring out today, and very cold. and 3. i have no clothes to wear in the rain, or the cold.. yet, i packed up my bag, and drove a half hour with another one of my friends too see this little chica and her "family" play one hell of a game. After going into overtime at 0-0, they lost at the last shot of a shootout.. some girls just sat down and looked at the ground.. others lay on the floor crying, and others standing there in shock, not realizing they just lost their chance at state champions. Mind you, i was soaked, numb, and hungry... but at that second, my heart sank for these girls.. i couldn't imagine it.. one of the girls on the team, happens to be my neighbor, and she is the star player on the team, and she told me the other day, with excitement in her eyes.. "sam, it will be the first time we go to states, I'm so excited." and that's all i could think about as i watched her sit on that field, and while all her hopes, fly away. I don't understand.. they cant just call it a tie and give everyone a trophy like we did when we were younger and kicked the ball into the wrong net.. why is it fair that each team works so hard and only one gets the gold?
this got me thinking, i would really love to be apart of a team, i mean, yes i play basketball, but that team changes every year.. some of these girls have been playing together for years, they depend on each other for everything, and no one comes in between your teammates. i dont know what i would join, cause i cant kick, throw, or catch a ball for my life, and its too late to join cheerleading now, unless i wanna be on the B team.. but then it hit me, i am apart of a team, it may not be sports, but my singing groups are my family.. and i Love them all so much, it really has taught me to appreciate my team, because without them, there would be no competition, there would be no winning, and there would be no gold. but also without them, there would be no passion, there would be no disappointment, and then there would be no redemption.

so to those disappointed soccer girls, don't be so down because even though you don't know me at all, and you will never read this, but you really made us proud tonight.. and even though your not state champs.. your Suffolk county champs.. and your our champs.. and that's good enough for uss.

just a thought...

1 comment:

Cara said...

My you write so well...where did you get THAT from?
;)